Goldenrod Cornbread: This slightly-sweet gluten-free cornbread has a nutty, slightly herbaceous flavour thanks to the addition of fresh goldenrod flowers and a surprising orange colour with the addition of turmeric (which also adds some anti-inflammatory properties to the mix.) The addition of seeds and nuts fill it with more nutrition and a gorgeous design baked into the top makes a stunning presentation! This recipe makes a wonderful breakfast or side dish.
1/2 c. butter, at room temperature
1 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 c. white rice flour
1/2 c. tapioca starch
1/4 tsp. xantham gum
1 1/2 c. ground yellow cornmeal
2 tsp. turmeric powder
1/4 c. honey
1 1/4 c. milk
1/2 c. fresh goldenrod flowers plucked from their stem
2 Tbs. chopped sunflower seeds
1/4 c. finely chopped pecans
To decorate: an assortment of seeds, nuts, and/or dried fruit
Preheat oven to 425F. Use a couple of Tbs of the butter to grease a cast-iron
- Sift the salt, baking powder, baking soda, rice flour, tapioca flour, xantham gum, cornmeal, and turmeric powder into a medium bowl.
- Cream the butter with the honey, then add the egg and mix until smooth. Add the dry mix and the milk and beat until smooth. Beat in the sunflower seeds, pecans, and goldenrod flowers.
- Pour the batter into the skillet, then carefully decorate with seeds, nuts, or dried fruit.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until lightly golden on top and a clean toothpick can be removed from the middle.
- Enjoy warm or at room temperature, slathered in butter and honey!